Friday, March 28, 2014

The Integration of Video :: American History :: Holocaust

As a middle school student, I distinctly remember watching Schindler's List.

Bold, based upon truth, and heart-wrenching, this 1993 film strongly moved me. That humanity could be so cruel was truly unbeknownst to me beforehand. With that in mind, I must thank my social studies teacher again and again for the early exposure. It revealed to me not only truth of humanity past but a passion to learn more.

The catch? The teacher hooked us with a real-life topic, introduced it via content, continued it via the video, and maintained the interest by looking deeper into the Holocaust topic and doing assignments based off of it.

Too often in the classroom teachers lose student interest by talking about same-old-same-old. But as a future teacher myself, I have an opportunity to make important engaging topics that are about life and the reality of it an essential thing. That said it will be my hope to do so.

If your students are struggling to get engaged - to have passion for their learning - lead them down a path where that may change. For me, it was an exciting and real-life type movie. Consider integrating reasonable and intentional films, today!

A Trip to the Holocaust Museum is another idea, a wonderful place I have visited 3x!
Here is a link to Schindler's List: Amazon:: Schindler's List (feat. Liam Neeson)

Image Citation: Wheelock, Andrew. washingtondc037.jpg. November 2005. Pics4Learning. 28 Mar 2014 <http://pics.tech4learning.com>




No comments:

Post a Comment